When the grandkids are at your house, you will find it easier to encourage your grandkids to read. Since you are at your own home, you have more options because you have more control over the environment.
When your grandkids visit you, pick one of these literacy options to encourage reading:
- Read aloud to them.
- Start a grandparent-grandchild book club.
- Provide book bags and book-themed play options.
- Provide access to lots of good books.
- Visit the library and bookstore.
- Attend story time at the library.
- Find opportunities to read in the world. Think of things like recipes, treasure hunts, street signs, etc.
- Create a cozy place to read with a comfy chair, reading lamps, and bookshelves full of books.
- Read a menu at a restaurant or a takeout menu. And, if a book introduces food or culture, try that food together while you discuss the book.
As you can see there are many different ways to encourage reading in your grandkids. Pick the ones that work for you and get those kids reading!